The second heaviest class of capital ships with great firepower, cruisers sacrifice the speed and maneuverability that would allow them to operate alone in a raiding capacity. For this reason, cruisers are most often deployed as part of a larger battle group or are held back for planet system defense.
- C - designation given to cruisers incapable of Faster-than-Light travel, rarely seen in modern fleets.
- CA - TOG Navy designation for "Attack Cruiser"; what the Renegade Legions Navy considers "Heavy Cruisers". Commonwealth Navy uses CA classification for "Armored Cruiser"
- CAV - Cruiser-class Fleet Carrier; used almost interchangeably with CCV in modern navies, the "CAV" designation is generally slightly larger and is more likely to be seen in a supporting role.
- CC - Cruiser. Both TOG and The Commonwealth use this designation for most "generic" cruiser classes.
- CCV - Cruiser-class carrier; both TOG Navy and the Renegade Legions use this designation.
- CG - Missile Cruiser; the Commonwealth Navy gives this designation to cruisers equipped with Type E Missile Systems.
- CH - Heavy Cruiser; TOG and Republican designation given to early generation battleships reclassified as cruisers. Commonwealth designation for cruiser-class assault transports.
- CL - Light Cruiser; fast cruisers with light or absent Spinal Mounts and/or Missile Systems.
- CV - Commonwealth Navy designation for cruiser-class carriers, most commonly in dedicated carriers lacking heavy weapon systems.